John D. Dingell VA Medical Center, Detroit, Michigan
The staff of the John D. Dingell VAMC is committed to helping our patients achieve better health by providing them with reliable, up to date health information. We believe that patients are empowered to help themselves when they have the right tools to make proper decisions when faced with decisions about lifestyle choices.
Peter P. Burda Patient and Family Learning Center
Our Patient & Family Learning Center was established in 1998 and is located in the heart of the Primary Care area of the hospital. We provide Veterans and their families with convenient access to a full range of educational resources on health, disease, treatment and prevention. The Learning Center is staffed by a full time Health Education Specialist and offers multiple methods of instruction to address the individual learning needs of our patients including pamphlets, reference books, videos, anatomic models, support groups and internet access.
My HealtheVet Web Site www.myhealth.va.gov
My HealtheVet is a website designed specifically for Veterans and their families as a valuable resource for health information. It is another tool that can help Veterans partner with their healthcare providers to achieve their best possible health.
Patients can do the following on the My HealtheVet web site:
- Refill prescriptions dispensed from VA pharmacies
- View VA Chemistry/Hematology Lab Results
- View Appointments
- View Wellness Reminders
- Use Secure Messaging to communicate with their VA Healthcare Team
- Research health information
- Create an electronic health record to store information such as: over the counter medications, allergies, military health history, log of personal health readings taken at home like blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol, weight, heart rate, dietary and exercise journals.
My HealtheVet can be accessed from any computer connected to the internet. For questions regarding My HealtheVet features or registration contact Ralph Riggs, My HealtheVet Coordinator at 313-576-1000 ext. 63509.
- Diabetes Support Group
- Prostate Cancer Support Group
Please call the Patient and Family Learning Center for more information on these support groups.
The Patient and Family Learning Center is located on the first floor in room C1592. The hours are Monday - Friday, from 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Our telephone number is (313)-576-1000, extension 61215 or (800)-511-8056, extension 61215.