John D. Dingell VA Medical Center, Detroit, Michigan
The Primary Care goal at the Detroit VA Medical Center is to provide a wide scope of primary health care services in a way that is coordinated, comprehensive and accessible to our area Veterans. The Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT) is each Veteran and their family working with health care professionals to plan for whole-person care and life-long health and wellness to be able to receive the guidance and nurturing that only the Primary Care service can provide.
The implementation structure for the PACT is to meet the needs of the Veterans by using a team-based approach. Coordinating care through all collaborations clearly defines the roles of each and every provider involved. The PACT offers several ways to access health care in addition to personal visits with a Primary Care Provider, or communicating with members of the PACT by telephone or through Secure Messaging via My HealheVet. Services are here at the Detroit VA Medical Center to meet the needs of our Veteran patients and to deliver excellent care in every aspect of patient care.
The Primary Care Service provides care for patients in outpatient clinics called TEAM. In a primary care setting, patients are assigned a primary care provider who is responsible for providing primary care. A team of professionals supports the primary care provider. In each firm, we have general medicine clinics and sub-specialty clinics. Primary Care is the foundation for the provision of health care to the patients receiving care at the John D. Dingell VA Medical Center. In addition, Primary Care offers:
- Accessibility: The primary care provider is accessible to his/her patients during normal administrative hours.
- Availability: If the provider is not available, accessibility is obtained by contacting the team of which the provider belongs. After hours access is available via the established telephone triage service telephone number (313) 576-1000, ext.63147/63148: or 1-800-511-8056.
- Comprehensiveness: The primary care provider is responsible for his/her patient’s entire health care. For areas beyond the primary care provider’s abilities, the primary care provider will consult specialists in the medical center.
- Coordination: The primary care provider will ensure that all health care provided to the patient is efficient, eliminating duplicate services.
- Continuum: The primary care provider will do all of the above to insure his/her patients receive all needed services:
- Primary Care
- Specialty Care
- Inpatient Care
- Intensive Care
- Extended Care
- Case Managers: Assist patients and providers in insuring that patients receive the right care at the right time.
Location of Service in Medical Center:
First floor of medical center, yellow and red towers
Saib Gappy, M.D., ACOS, Primary Care Service, (313) 576-1000, ext. 65206
Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (Evening and Saturday appointments are offered upon request)
- First floor of medical center, yellow and red towers
- 313-576-1000 Ext. 65206
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.