John D. Dingell VA Medical Center, Detroit, Michigan
Volunteer and Community Relations
Volunteer and Community Relations (VCR) includes several key services of the Detroit VA Healthcare System - Voluntary Service, Public Affairs, Patient Advocates and Medical Media. VCR crafts and nurtures relationships with the community, internal customers and stakeholders to promote the mission of the Detroit VA Healthcare System, while supporting the care of the Veteran patient.
- VA Voluntary Service (VAVS) Program: A principal component of VCR, the Detroit VAVS is one of the largest volunteer programs in the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) and the Metro-Detroit area. There is a corps of more than 1,200 volunteers who provide many important functions throughout the Medical Center and help make our patients' stay more enjoyable.
- Public Affairs Office: responsible for promoting the image of the medical center, both externally and internally through innovative communication and outreach. Public Affairs fosters a working relationship with media, maintains open contact with other government agencies, and keeps internal and external publics informed on issues that may affect them.
- Patient Advocates: help to promote patient rights by providing patients and their families with assistance in an increasingly complex and technical healthcare system. The advocates serve as a liaison between the patient and the VA.
- Medical Media: support programs such as Tele-health and remote diagnostic care; provide graphic design, clinical and event documentation, video production and in-house cable TV programming.
Location of Service in Medical Center:
- Voluntary Service is located in room A1015
- Patient Advocate are on the first floor next to the Chapel in the Atrium
- Medical Media – Room C3952
- Public Affairs Officers are in the Director’s Office, 5th floor, Red Tower.
- William R. Browning, Chief Volunteer and Community Relations, Voluntary Service – 313-576-1000, ext 63332
- Patient Advocates – 313-576-1000, ext. 63666/64718
- Medical Media – 313-576-1000, ext. 63283
- Public Affairs – 313-576-1000, ext. 63596/63340
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
Voluntary Service - room A1015. Medical Media - Room C3952.
Patient Advocate - first floor next to the Chapel in the Atrium.
Public Affairs - Directors Office, 5th floor, Red Tower.
- 313-576-1000 Ext. 63332
- 313-576-1000 Ext. 63283/63596/633
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.